Every new mom might be wondering on which solid food to start to their baby. Starting solids to your little one is around 4 to 6 months.
I tried different foods when I’m introducing solid to my baby. I have listed some best baby foods to start with and why they are good for your baby.
Let’s jump in!!.
are the best first foods for babies?
Babies first food should be very smooth and soft and also very easy to digest. You can start with different type of fruit purees, vegetable purees in the beginning.Later on you can jump into more solid foods like rice items.
Best First Fruit Purees :
Sweet potato Puree :
Sweet potato is ideal baby first food as it contains more vitamins and minerals. They are easy to digest. You can give pureed sweet potato when your baby is
- Sweet potatoes are good source of fibre it can prevent constipation in babies.
- These are rich with vitamin A it helps Improves eyesight of your babies.
Apple Puree :
Start feeding apples only when your baby is six months old.Make Apple puree by adding some breast milk or formula milk and make it to your desired consistency.
Make sure you peel the apple first before you make apple puree.
- Apples are full of nutrients.
- These are rich sources of vitamin C.
Banana puree :
Bananas are full of nutrients and also they are rich in fibre. Banana helps in curing constipation in babies.
You can give banana puree to babies once they cross six months.
Mash the banana and feed the baby if they are able to chew properly.
Make banana puree by adding some breast milk or formula milk and mix it to your desired consistency.
Don’t store banana puree to later use.Make the puree just before you feed the baby.
Papaya puree :
Most of the babies love to eat papaya puree.
You can make the papaya puree by adding some breast milk or formula milk and mix it to your desired consistency.
Best First Vegetable Purees :
Carrot Puree :
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene that is vitamin A.Babies like the naturally sweet taste of the carrots.
- Boil or steam boil the carrot before making the carrot puree
. Makecarrot puree by adding breast milk or formula milk.
Potato Puree :
Potato Puree is one of the best first food for babies. You can start with little quantity in the beginning stages as some babies suffer from tummy upset due to gas. It is not an allergenic food.
- Boil or steam boil the potato before making the potato puree.
- Make potato puree by adding breast milk or formula milk.
Best First Homemade baby food:
You can also start introducing your babies with single grain cereals in the beginning. You can add two three kinds of grains at the later stages once the baby is around six months.
Thesecereals can be homemade.
- They can be done instantly.
Homemade Moong dal Powder :
- Take one cup of Rice and one cup of moong dal.
- Wash the rice and moong dal and let them dry in the sunlight.
- Dry roast both the ingredients on low heat separately. Stir them continuously until they are completely roasted.
- The grains should become crispy after roasting.
- Add one spoon of ajwain or oregano to the ingredients since it reduces abdominal discomfort due to indigestion in the babies.
- Blend the roasted grains and ajwain in a mixer grinder to make it as a powder.
- Take one spoon of the powder and add in hot water and cook it for 2 to 5 mins to make it to a desired consistency.
- Add some ghee and salt then feed the food to baby.
Tip: You can store this baby food to feed the baby later. Heat the stored food before feeding it to the baby by adding ghee.
Rice and dal mixed porridge :
Give mixed rice porridge made with rice, moong dal and toor dal.You can give this food to your baby once he is around 7 months.
- Take two spoons of rice and wash it twice.
- Take one spoon of toor dal and one spoon of moong dal.Wash them thoroughly.
- Add these dals with rice and add one glass of water and add them into pressure cooker.Cook it on low flame for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Let it cool for 5 mins. Add the boiled rice and dal mixture into a blender and make it as a puree.
- Add a pinch of salt and a spoon of ghee and serve little hot to the baby.
Ragi porridge :
- Pour ½ glass of water in a pan.Let the water boil for 2 to 3 mins then add little jaggery to it.
- Take one table spoon of ragi flour separately in a bowl and mix it with water.
Tip : Don’t add ragi flour directly into boiling water as it will create many lumps.
- Add the ragi flour water mixture into boiling water and cook it for 5 mins till it reaches desired consistency.
- Cool the mixture add formula milk and serve to the baby.
Tip : The ragi porridge must be smooth with out any lumps.
Mixed Fruit and Rice porridge :
You can give your baby apple banana porridge made with rice.You can give this food to your baby once he is around 7 months.
- Take half cup of rice.Wash the rice twice.
- Take one apple, peel off the apple skin and cut into pieces.
- Add the rice and apple pieces into the pressure cooker and add some water and cook it on the low flame for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Transfer the boiled food into the grinder and make it as a puree.
- Add one banana to the puree and again blend it to make puree.
Carrot potato beetroot rice recipe :
- Take half cup of rice and wash the rice.
- Add one carrot, peel the carrot and cut it into small pieces.
- Take one potato, peel the potato and cut it into small cubes.
- Add half beetroot, peel the skin and chop it into small pieces.
- Add all the ingredients into a cooker and add two cups of water and cook
- on medium flame for 3 whistles.
- Mash the food with a masher and add a pinch of salt and a spoon of ghee then feed the baby.
It is your job as a mother to introduce different tastes to the babies.
- Be patient and start feeding baby solids, Start with little amount and then increase the quality.
- Follow the 3 day rule and feed the same food to see if the food causes any kind of allergies or rashes.
- Don’t forcely feed the babies to finish the food.If they are not showing interest, turn away from the food those are signs that the food is enough for them you can stop feeding food.
What is your biggest challenge while feeding your babies? What food does your little one liked most? Please let me know in comments below.I would love to hear from your experiences.